Is depression a mental illness? Yes, clinical depression is a serious, but treatable, mental illness. It is a medical condition, not a personal weakness.
Here are some signs you may experience:
• You feel sad or irritable most of the day, nearly every day.
• You’re less interested in most activities you once enjoyed.
• You suddenly lose or gain weight or have a change in appetite.
• You have trouble falling asleep or want to sleep more than usual.
• You experience feelings of restlessness.
• You feel unusually tired and have a lack of energy.
• You feel worthless or guilty, often about things that wouldn’t usually make you feel that way.
• You have difficulty concentrating, thinking, or making decisions.
• You think about harming yourself or suicide.
Speak to us if you need help.